This course was developed for absolute Piano Beginners. We will guide you through the first concepts to build a strong foundation to reach Grade 1 in between 3 and 6 months.
We designed this Syllabus after years of experience teaching new learners that are eager to start this amazing challenge. This course contains lessons, solo pieces, duets, videos and quizzes to check your progress.
Grasp the essentials needed to begin playing Piano or keyboard. You’ll learn an easy approach to get you playing and reading music quickly, through a combination of exploring the instrument, performance technique, and basic music theory
We will use original material and open source taken from imslp.org, an open source library for the practical exercises and theory taken from musictheory.net, also a free website.
Good luck as you get started, and I hope you enjoy the course!
Instrumental skills to be developed in this Unit
- Lateral awareness
- Breathing (phrasing)
- Posture: distance to the keyboard, height and weight
- Hand positioning
Minimum skills to be developed in this Unit
- Touch sensitivity.
- Main Chords
- Hand repositioning
- Understanding of the weight required on the keyboard
- Understanding and application of Finger Movement and Forearm Movement
Basic reading skills to develop in this Unit
- Keyboard layout awareness
- Awareness of high and low pitches
- Note names
- Imitation of the teacher’s performance
- Location of middle C
- Treble and bass clef
- Note motion “Contrapuntal Motion”: Similar, Contrary and Oblique
- Time signatures 2/4, ¾ and 4/4
- Major scales: C, G and F
Objectives of the first three Units
- To develop a good understanding of main musical concepts through performing selected piano pieces
- To develop the habit of practising on a daily basis
- To develop good piano-posture following the basics of relaxation and breathing management
- To develop a solid piano technique which can provide the grounds for artistic development.
- To start developing a deep understanding of musical language and musical expression through piano performance
- To start understanding how analytic-memory works
- To develop the skill of performing with an audience
- To develop the skill of performing da capo a fine
- To develop a collection of skills necessary to face the challenges proposed by relevant musical scores
- To start understanding how to use the piano pedals correctly
- To acquire the technical awareness necessary to perform the pieces of each level at the right speed